Green Hills Software announced its latest Optimizing C and C++ compilers, version 2017.5, for the world’s leading 32-bit and 64-bit embedded processor architectures, including Arm, Intel and Power Architecture. Highlights include up to 30 percent higher performance, expanded C++ capabilities and more compatibility with third-party tools.
The C/C++ Compilers 2017.5 are already in heavy use by global companies’ software-critical devices and systems in automotive, aerospace, storage, medical, military, industrial and personal communication markets, to name a few.
“As embedded systems become more complex, more connected, and more exposed, the value of quality and secure software is placed at an even greater premium,” said Chris Rommel, Executive Vice President at VDC Research. “In order to meet today’s development and time-to-market challenges, engineers should turn to proven compiler technology leaders like Green Hills Software, which has a track record of delivering premium solutions for complex and safety-critical markets.”
Compiler 2017.5 supports the leading embedded architectures including Arm, Intel, Power Architecture, Renesas RH850, MIPS, ColdFire and TriCore.
- Maximum performance is up to 30 percent higher as measured over hundreds of industry and customer benchmarks, besting results from GNU and LLVM compilers
- New support keeping pace with the latest architecture extensions for Armv8-A, Armv8-R and Armv8-M, including new security instructions
- Improved control and utilization of CPU pipeline architectures, floating point optimizations and opcode utilization
- Enhanced control for auto-vectorization of leading SIMD instruction extensions including Arm NEON and Intel Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE)
Life-critical software is assuming more and more control of embedded and IoT devices that fly aircraft, brake a car, control surgical robots or manage hard disk drives. Development teams rely on a C/C++ compiler that produces machine code with the utmost quality, rigorously developed and meticulously tested in an accredited software process environment.
- The preceding version, 2017.1, of the Green Hills C/C++ Optimizing Compilers are certified as qualified tools at the highest levels of functional safety for automotive (ISO 26262 ASIL D), industrial (IEC 61508 SIL 3) and railway (EN 50128 SWSIL 4).
- In addition, the integrated single-pass MISRA-C adherence checker gives development teams a flexible means to prevent new bugs and enforce cleaner, higher-quality code.
- Green Hills compilers are also tightly integrated into the DoubleCheck static analysis tool that performs full program analysis in a single pass, finding bugs caused by complex interactions between pieces of code across many source files.
The software development phase is often the most costly portion of developing an embedded system or IoT product. C/C++ Compilers 2017.5 add new features and under-the-hood technology that can ultimately decrease time-to-market and time-to-volume:
- As the popularity of third party tools that automatically generate code grows, Green Hills compilers have greatly expanded its maximum number of user sections and internal number of variables
- Greater compatibility and flexibility when linking with third-party code through the Arm Application Binary Interface (ABI)
- Enhanced visibility for third-party libraries to detect vector optimizations in use
- Enhanced support for various C++ language constructs
Green Hills C/C++ Optimizing Compiler 2017.5 is available today for Arm, Intel, Power Architecture, Renesas RH850, TriCore, MIPS and ColdFire architectures.