STMicroelectronics has expanded its Intelligent Power Module portfolio with the introduction of the SLLIM-nano 2nd series, adding higher power levels and new package options that are especially suited to increasing the efficiency and reducing cost. The new SLLIMM-nano devices suit compressors, pumps, and fans in domestic appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines, and any low-power motors working up to 20 kHz in hard-switching circuits in an application power range up to 200W.
SLLIMM-nano devices integrate three half-bridge high-voltage gate drivers, six IGBTs, and six fast and ultra-soft freewheeling recovery diodes, as well low-voltage input logic that allow the devices to implement the complete interface between a low-power microcontroller and a mains-powered three-phase electric motor. The design of the embedded IGBTs (a planar technology for the 3A and a dedicated TFS (Trench-gate Field Stop) technology for the 5A version) and the freewheeling diodes are tailored to offer the best trade-off between switching and conduction losses for low-power BLDC (Brushless DC) motor applications, resulting in high efficiency and low electromagnetic interference.
Key features of ST’s SLLIMM-nano 2nd series include:
- 3A-5A current rating at 25°C, with 600V breakdown voltage;
- Lower VCE(sat) 1.65V even at 5A, due to the TFS technology;
- Low EMI
- Mounted slot package options allowing easier and lower-cost heatsink assembly;
- Integrated bootstrap diode for lower BOM and simplified PCB layout;
- 150°C maximum operating junction temperature;
- Integrated op amp and comparator that can be used for protection circuits;
- Separate open emitter outputs to simplify PCB routing for both single and three shunt solutions;
- NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) for temperature monitoring;
- Smart shutdown function;
- In-line and zig-zag lead options, with/without stand-off, for maximum layout flexibility;
- 1500 Vrms minimum isolation.