Finnish health company Oura Health developed a ring and free app that boasts the ability to aid users in improving sleep and balancing a healthy lifestyle. Winner of the Red Dot Award for Communication Design, the Oura ring is a sleep improvement solution that delivers guidance based on sleeping habits and physiology.
CTO, Co-Founder Kari Kivelä says, “Almost anyone can benefit from paying more attention to how well they sleep. Together with the Oura ring, the Oura app gives users unique insights into their physiology, such as ideal bedtimes and long-term body temperature trends. We’re proud and humbled that both the Oura ring and the Oura app have been recognized for their high-quality design.”
The Oura ring operates by tracking sleep quality, sleep stages, ECG level resting heart rate and heart rate variability, as well as body temperature. The Oura ring contains a dual-core arm-processor: ARM Cortex based ultra-low power MCU, in-ring memory that stores data for up to 6 weeks, it’s water resistant up to 328 ft, with both Bluetooth smart technology and airplane mode.
The Oura ring is titanium, ultra-lightweight, and seamless with a non-allergenic inner molding. Oura Health combines science, technology, and design to deliver products based on biometric measuring.
Technical specifications include:
- Oura proprietary pulse waveform and pulse amplitude variation detection with infrared PPG sensors
- Body temperature sensor
- 3D accelerometer and gyroscope
- ECG level resting heart rate (RHR), interbeat interval (IBI), and heart rate variability (HRV)
- Respiratory rate, breathing variance
- Thermometer level body temperature deviation
- Movements and daily rhythms
- Intensity, timing, and length of physical activities
- Inactivity and sedentary time including alerts
- Up to 1 week on a single charge
- Wireless charging: charging time 20 – 80 minutes depending on how often the ring is charged
The ring comes in three designs and four colors with prices ranging from $299 to $999.